Single Mom Thriving:Dreams Come True

With much excitement, my daughter and I  finally got our schedules in sync so we could hit the new consignment store in town. We share a passion for second hand shops.

The shop was delightful to the senses, especially my purse. As we were checking out we began talking with the owner. She told us that she had been a stay at home single mother and when her youngest went to college she decided to pursue her dream of owning a consignment shop, since that is how she shopped while her children were growing up.

My daughter looked at me and said, "Oh mom she is just like you. Just think, in a few more years you will be able to pursue your dream. You must be so excited!"

I had a moment of pause.

Years back I stopped identifying myself as a single mom. I was and still am parenting solo, yet defining myself in such a way sounded a bit too victim like and martyr like at the same time.  I didn't want to be pitied and I didn't want to be placed on some pedestal. I just wanted to raise my children in a way that made sense to me. Staying home made most sense.

I have found fun and creative ways to create income.  I learned how to stretch a dollar quite a few miles.  However my main purpose and what filled me most was raising my three amazing children.

I am coming to the final stretches of having children at home. One is in his third year of college, my daughter is a college freshman and my youngest is a high school junior.

When I got divorced I decided that my marriage status was not going to define how I mothered. My big crazy dream was to be a stay at home single mom.  I can now see the the horizon and I am realizing that my dream came true. Somewhere in all of those years, many  kind of blurry, I made my dream come true. Day by day minute by minute it really happened.

So in response to my daughter I said with much pride, "Yes. I am a stay at home single mom. My dream came true! Basking in that will certainly be a spring board for what I dream for next."

Dreams Come True




Your children will see what you're all about by how you live rather than what you say. Wayne Dyer

Sign up to receive your free feng shui ebook.

Bessings,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment