Pay Attention to The War in Your Head.



I felt like I was going to throw up.

Then I wanted to cry.

Or scream.

Or break something.

This country is screwed. So many people won't have health insurance. My daughter has lost her reproductive rights.  Why couldn't he have said kinder and  less devisive words. Who in their right mind voted for him? People are going to be deported. There is going to be a nuclear war.

My thoughts swirled from bad to worse and on and on and on. I felt angrier by the minute.

Then I stopped.

I was folding laundry.

I felt like I was going to throw up.

Then I wanted to cry.

Or scream.

Or break something.

I am never going to be able to do this. How will I ever do it when they are teenagers? How will I afford college? What was I thinking? What if we end up homeless? What if they become horrible people? It will be all my fault.

My thoughts went from bad to worse.

Then I stopped.

Three children under ten were happily entertaining themselves in the back of an overpacked van. I was driving us to our new home.

 A Course In Miracles states:

 "At Peace I ask for nothing and have everything. At war I ask for everything and have nothing." 

I believe the biggest war is the war in our head.

That war requires people to behave as we want them to.

That war requires us to be able see the future.

That war invents horrible outcomes.

When you are at war in your mind you have nothing and you ask for everything.

When you soften, even just a bit, you get peace.

I am not encouraging us to be lazy. I am not encouraging us to slap on a happy face and a happy affirmation and go hide under a rock.

When we give ourselves a moment of peace we are inspired to act.

If I had stayed in my pissed off mood over the weekend, I could not have made intelligent phone calls to my senators these past two days.

If I had stayed in that singlemom freak out mode, who would have raised my children?

It is all normal. We all do it. ALL. OF. THE. TIME.

In fact I've spoken about it here.

The trick is to catch ourselves, laugh, and get back to what is real.

Blessings,
Virginia

Join us by signing up in the top right. It's free!










No comments:

Post a Comment