Four Steps to Successful New Year's Resolutions

Successful New Years Resolutions
I hate to break it to you. That New Years Resolution you just made probably won't stick.

Yes, perhaps today you followed through but what about come March?

Do you really see yourself doing it at that pace come March?

Most likely you will throw in the towel in a few weeks.

For the past few years  I have made the same resolution. To Get Organized. I never followed through. This year I applied a different strategy to that "Get Organized" that has been on the bottom of my resolution list for three years.

1. I clearly defined "Get Organized"
          I want to get rid of everything  that I do not need or love.

2. I became extremely clear on the WHY.
       I want to get organized because I love the feeling of open space. Possibilities seem endless when I can see space.
        I feel weighed down by too much stuff.
        Going through my stuff and getting rid of what no longer serves me is going to help me move into the next phase of my life. My next chapter of empty nest is scaring me a bit. I intuitively know the being organized will alleviate that fear.

3. I came up with an easy plan.
         I will spend 25 minutes each day clearing out. I chose the basement to start.

4. I gave myself wiggle room.
          If for some reason I cannot get my full 25 minutes that is okay. I will simply find something to organize. My email, the pictures on my phone, the kitchen drawer could all use a clearing out. The idea is that each day I will organize something.   Yes I will aim for the 25 minutes.  However, I won't skip the action all together. A two minute clear out will keep my momentum. A zero clear out will make me have to start all over.

Starting all over is so hard!

So whatever you resolved to do or not to do in 2017:

Clearly define it.
Compellingly answer why.
Make it easy to accomplish.
Give yourself wiggle room.
Don't quit!


What was your New Year's Resolution?

I would love to have you in my community. Sign up on the top left.

Happy New Year!
Blessings,
Virginia





No comments:

Post a Comment