Single Mom Thriving: I Am Enough.

When I first became a single mom, I spent many sleepless nights worrying about my children's future.

I was paralyzed in fear with the same question swirling in my head,"How can I be both Mom and Dad?"

Then one day in the wee hours of the morning it hit me, "I don't have to be mom and dad."

Every cell in my body felt immediate relief.

In Brene Brown's words I finally embraced, "I am imperfect AND I am enough."

I let go of the notion that I had to be anything more than myself in order for my children to thrive.
 
  Being myself meant that sometimes I had to miss events. I have missed many of my son's college lacrosse games.
  Sometimes I had to choose one child's event over the other. Just recently I chose to take prom pictures     with my senior daughter's group of friends instead of my sophomore son's group of friends.
   Being myself meant sometimes they had to find their own rides.
  Trusting that I was enough in these moments meant guilt was not an option.

I let go of the fear that my single mom status was going to damage my children.
   
    I ignored every ridiculous statistic about children growing up with a single mother.
    I fully committed to raising happy, healthy children.
    My marital status was in no way going to deter that goal.
  
 
I let go of the idea that parenting teens was going to be hard as a single mom. 

     Teenagers are amazing human beings.
     It is a roller coaster ride for all parents.
     In many ways this time is easier as a single parent. I make the rules!

I no longer stay awake at night worrying about how my single mom status will effect my children.

                    Mostly I go to bed wondering how it all went so fast.



No comments:

Post a Comment