Single Mom Thriving: No Regrets

I was having lunch with a fellow divorced mom.  Out of the blue she asked me if I ever regretted getting divorced. I all but spit out my lunch.

Regret getting divorced? Never!  Not once!

She continued, "Not even for your kids? Don't you regret it for them? Don't you feel sorry for them?"

Regret the divorce for my kids? No.
Feel sorry for my kids? It never crossed my mind.

After that conversation I did a bit of google research. Not the best evidence based research, I know,but that conversation had me intrigued.  Sure enough, most of the articles claimed women regret divorcing  because it was so hard on the children.

You know what makes it hard on the children? Believing that it is going to be hard on the children for their entire lives.

Yes it is difficult for children to navigate through their parents' divorce. However, if the children are the parents' number one priority, as they should be, the children do just fine.

We must change the way we speak about children who are raised by single mothers. They are not to be pitied. They are not at a disadvantage. Believing they are is the problem.  Kids live up to our expectations.

I have never once felt sorry for my kids because they were raised by me. I gave them a kickass childhood.

I have no regrets.



Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter. 

Single mom searching for a guide? I would be honored . Email me here for a free 30 minute coaching call.

Blessings,

Virginia




No comments:

Post a Comment