It just happened.

I don't remember the last time I breastfed each of my children.
Yet I remember each of them at my breast, their schedules and quirks. Each child has a beautiful story.

I don't remember the last time I changed a diaper.
Yet I remember the squirts, the wiggles, and the songs I sang.

 I don't remember the last time I wiped a butt leaning forward on the toilet.
Yet I remember the thought, "Will I be doing this forever?"

I don't remember that last time I read a story to my children.
Yet I remember the absolute joy of being together in  a book in my bed.

I don't remember the last time I had to be outside when my kids waited for the bus.
Yet I remember the fun games, fighting over who gets to  hold  my coffee cup to keep their hands warm and our neighbors who waited with us.

I don't remember the last time I had to drive my eldest anywhere. Yet I remember having to lug two sleepy kids to pick him up.

It just happened.

Senior year seems to be all about celebrating endings. My first senior night is coming up. My son and I will be honored for his last football game in high school.

It is a beautiful ceremony.

Yet I somehow wish this was another 'just happened' .

"Just happened"  feels more natural.





No comments:

Post a Comment