Fifty vs Thirteen.

Turning fifty years old is loaded with expectations. It hit me about three years ago when birthday cards were signed, ' Soon you'll be fifty." The comments baffled me.  I became even more perplexed when people would realize my age and  respond, "I can't believe you're almost fifty."

Hmmm..

The real kicker came  practically as soon as I blew out my candles on my 49th birthday cake.  " What are you going to do for your fiftieth?" When I shrugged, the response was always, "You have to do SOMETHING."

So I guess in some way I became conditioned in believing something would shift once I turned fifty. I am now on my fourth day of being fifty years old and guess what? I look the same, feel the same and act the same as I did five days ago.

The only thing that has changed is that people are no longer commenting on 'almost' being fifty or telling me that I have to do SOMETHING for my fiftieth. Phew!

I am however having a hard time wrapping my head around my baby being a teenager. Yes my best birthday present ever is now thirteen years old. That I wasn't ready for.

                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment