Single Mom Thriving; Ten Ways NOT to Overspend This Holiday Season



One year it took me months to pay off the Christmas I put on a credit card. Those months of scrimping just to pay off things my children rarely even used totally bummed me out. I vowed never to do it again.

Let me be clear here. My overspending wasn't because my children were begging for stuff. My overspending wasn't because my children needed all of those things.

I overspent in an atttempt to make myself feel good.

I  believed that the more presents under the tree equated to my success as a single mom.

Since that year, I have done these things to curb my overspending.

1. Before any Christmas shopping, I check in with myself. I make lists of everything I have done for and given to my children throughout the year.
     Single mom sister with a list like that one, we could just skip the entire shopping. HA!


2.  I  ask my children what they remember about last Christmas.  They never ever remember the presents.
      I once asked if they remembered what they received from Santa. The answers were vague.

                                     The presents aren't the gifts of Christmas.

3. I make a budget. I put the allocated cash in an envelope. When the cash is gone. I am done.
          I am not against using credit cards. I just don't trust myself at Christmas.

4. Before I buy anything I ask if the recipient will love it?  And will I love giving it to him or her?
          Giving and receiving are the same.

5. I like giving experiences. Each year I give each of my children a coupon for a lunch with mom.
          As a single mom one on one time with your children is a gift for both of you.

6. I shop at thrift stores,consignment shops, Goodwill and Salvation Army.
         I once filled an entire dress up chest for a mere few dollars. My children used it for years!

7. I like to be creative. One year I gave my teenagers the toy they loved best when they were toddlers.           My store was the box in the basement. They loved it.

8. I always give my children things they need. Santa Claus is helping mom out when he gives children socks, underwear and school supplies.

9. I make things for teachers, coaches, mail carriers, friends and extended family.

10.  I remind myself... as I shop... as I wrap... as I put under the tree..as they unwrap....

                           Christmas has been happening all year in this home.
     
Make sure to sign up for my email community in the top right to receive a free feng shui ebook.

I'm giving gifts every day in December!

Many blessings,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment