Single Mom Thriving: Hiking Alone.

Twenty five years ago wonderful friends introduced me to a beautiful hike along the coast of southern Maine.  It became my favorite place to hike with my then husband.

Kids came along.  We moved.  We divorced. I moved back to Maine.

Once my children were old enough to safely maneuver the cliffs, I took them on this glorious hike.

I had never done the hike alone.

This fall I had a strong desire to be there once again.  Timing and schedules made planning with friends a bit tricky.

I had a day open up. Or rather, I saw the weather report and opened up a random Wednesday to take the hike.

As the day approached, I found myself believing the myths about the dangers of women hiking alone.  Trump's views on how women should be treated was also boiling inside of me.

I felt afraid to hike, during the day, all by myself. Because I am a woman.

I almost didn't go.

I almost let the media scare tactics and a buffoon's opinion of women rob me of one of the most beautiful days of my life.

You know what changed my mind?

I asked myself, "What would I want my daughter to do?"






Blessings,
Virginia

Please sign up for my free Feng Shui E-book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment