The Secret to Trying Something New

 I love to garden and I have had years of success in creating beautiful perennial beds.

However, when it comes to growing food, my success has been marginal. This year, I decided to try square foot gardening. I did copious research when the snow was still flying and in my mind I created the perfect square foot garden.

I had all of the materials to build my three boxes in early May.
Yet I didn't begin to build them until early June.

I had all of my seeds in April.
Yet I just finished planting last week.

I knew part of my experiment was to grow my tomatoes vertically.
Yet I just now finished putting up the fencing.

So what was with all of that procrastination?

Plain and simple, I got too attached to my vision of the perfect square foot garden.

When we get too attached to an outcome, inspired action is thwarted. When we let go of the outcome,  fun happens.

Here's how I let go of my perfect square foot garden outcome.

* Kind, loving self talk. "You can do this Gin." or "You're doing a great job"

* Bringing attention to success. My snap peas are looking glorious and I haven't had to buy any greens since May. (I did my lettuce, arugula, spinach and snap peas in a traditional row.

* Enjoying the process. Mixing compost, peat moss and vermiculite with my hands was more fun than play doh!  Building the boxes myself made me feel strong. Cutting up old sheets and using them to tie the tomato branches to the fence made me laugh at myself.

*Let it be and trust. I will nurture my garden, but like anything else, the rest is up to God.















No comments:

Post a Comment