Robbing time

When I was in my 20s, I remember my dad reminiscing about years gone by. It was just the two of us sitting in the living room together. He was telling me stories of when my nine older siblings and I were small children.

His eyes glistened as he stated, "Those were the best years of my life, Gin-Gin."

His sadness bothered me. I wanted my dad with me at that moment, not lost in days gone by. I simply couldn't wrap my 20 year old brain around then being better than now.

I dropped my eldest off to college last week.

My emotions have been all over the place. I have spent many hours reminiscing of years past. I am guilty of feeling just as my dad did 30 years ago. As I look at all of the pictures of us on the walls I wonder, "Were those really the best years of my life?"

Memories are tricky and selective. Pictures are snapshots of  happy times.

Then is not better than now.

Looking back can be fun, but too much looking back robs time to appreciate now,



No comments:

Post a Comment